Florida Campaign Trail Mix: Mayor Gillum continues to #BringItHome on the trail and earns Orlando Sentinel’s endorsement, while DeSantis cozies up to corporate polluters
“It’s time for a change. Time for some new ideas. Time for Andrew Gillum…” the Orlando Sentinel declared in their endorsement of Andrew Gillum for governor.
With just 18 days until Florida decides their next governor, Mayor Andrew Gillum continues to lead on the trail, bringing Floridians together for a town hall in St. Petersburg on the most important issues facing voters. In the aftermath of Hurricane Michael, Mayor Gillum met with Floridians to listen to their concerns and share his vision for Florida — ensuring we’re investing in the future by preparing our communities.
Meanwhile, new reports have highlighted how Ron DeSantis cashes in on donations from the Koch network and continues to side with corporate polluters. Koch Industries was fined hundreds of millions of dollars for environmental violations that are believed to have contributed to toxic algae blooms. No wonder that leading environmental groups have wholeheartedly endorsed the Gillum-King ticket to stand up to corporate polluters and fight for better environmental protections in Florida.
Tune in Sunday night at 8 p.m. for Mayor Gillum’s first debate moderated by CNN’s Jake Tapper. At the Tampa debate, voters will hear Gillum’s bold vision and plan to create an economy that works for everyone, invest in public schools, and fight for quality, affordable healthcare so that people across the state of Florida can thrive, and not just survive.
Early voting kicks off next week in Florida and our campaign is marking the occasion with former Vice President Joe Biden hitting the trail to rally with Mayor Andrew Gillum in Tampa and Jacksonville to encourage Floridians to get out and vote early.
Below is more campaign trail mix for you to chew on:
- Politico: How 2018 Became the ‘Year of the Black Progressive’
- Salon: Andrew Gillum, Florida’s possible next governor, has the winning message for Democrats
- Naples Daily News: Candidate DeSantis won’t disclose details of taxpayer-funded travel while in Congress
- Associated Press: Gillum releases some tax returns ahead of Florida governor’s race
- Tampa Bay Times: Andrew Gillum returns to the campaign trail and makes case to be Florida governor
- CNN: Gillum returns to campaign trail with tow hall
- The Alligator: Lt. Gov candidate Chris King talks education, equity
- Tampa Bay Times: Scenes from the St. Petersburg rally